Jnanadabhiram Barooah Law College, popularly known as J.B. Law College (JBLC) came into existence in the year 1969 with the objective of advancing legal education in the entire north-eastern region. Eminent educationalist Late Golap Chandra Choudhury, the first principal (1969-1972), was the key person in the establishment of the college. On 10th July 1968, the first meeting was held with the fifteen-member committee for the requirement of a law college in the heart of Guwahati city. On 19th March 1969, in the presence of the five governing body members the name of the college was decided as a tribute to Late Jnanadabhiram Barooah, who was the first principal of Assam’s first law college, the Government Earle Law College established in 1914.
On 25th June 1969, with the written approval of Gauhati University, J.B. Law College was formally established. The JBLC is one of the leading law colleges in North East India, imparting legal education since its inception. Presently the College is permanently affiliated to Gauhati University and recognized by the Bar Council of India. It is recognized and approved by the University Grants Commission (UGC). In November 2015, this prestigious College was accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), an autonomous body of UGC, and was awarded Grade-B.
It is worth mentioning that Justice K.M. Lahiri, former Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court, Justice B.L. Hansaria, former Chief Justice of Orissa High Court, former Judge of Supreme Court of India, Justice T.C. Das, former Judge of Gauhati High Court, Justice T.N. Singh, former Judge of Madhya Pradesh High Court were amongst the galaxy of distinguished faculties of law, who served in the College. Honourable Justice Aftab Hussain Saikia, former Chairperson, Meghalaya Human Rights Commission, former Judge, Gauhati High Court and (Retd.) Chief Justice of Sikkim High Court and J&K High Court served as a faculty of law and held the chair of the Principal from 1/03/1991 – 15/07/1991 and this legacy continues with many more legal luminaries of Assam. Since the inception of the college, the Governing Body is also elevated with many renowned judges and jurists as well prominent educationists from the state.
The College is determined to sustain its esteemed status and its academic stature in the field of legal education for which it was established on popular demand of the society.
To achieve its vision, the college places emphasis on the following practices –
1. Encouraging students in the relentless pursuit of legal knowledge and development of their personalities as a whole to serve the society as first class citizens of the country by providing them a conducive atmosphere of learning.
2. Striving towards making every student employable through holistic education and development of the right skills and knowledge to become pure professionals in the field of law and practice – as judicial officers, advocates, academicians, jurists or legislators – and also helping them in identifying their inherent talents.
3. Sustaining and further developing its status in the field of legal education and research.
4. Creating legal awareness for all the sections of people in society by conducting seminars, symposiums, workshops, law lectures and legal aid camps.
The college is also committed to provide free legal aid services to the needy people through its Legal Aid Clinic under the supervision of District as well as State Legal Services Authorities.
5. Encouraging students to participate in all kinds of extra-curricular activities in order to inculcate their inherent talents and groom their personalities.
6. Organizing and encouraging students to participate in moot court competitions whether national/international in order to imbibe the techniques and skills of advocacy.
1. To be the flag bearer of legal education of the entire North-Eastern Region of India.
2. To engage in the relentless pursuit of legal knowledge and establish itself as a reputed center of academic excellence and research in the field of law.
3. To produce legal professionals, academicians and administrators of distinguished quality and repute as a noble contribution to the society.
4. To continue its rich legacy in the field of legal education and play its role in the process of nation building with all sincerity.